Monday 7 October 2013

My fav Korean restaurant in KL

Ever since I was introduced to Korean food 17years ago when I moved to Sydney, I've never turned back. The Korean fever is huge now but if you lived in Sydney from 20years ago, Korean food was already big as there is a huge population of Koreans based in Sydney.

A lot of Korean food is Beef based and in Australia, beef is so yummy. Makes the Korean food there even much nicer. However, due to some personal reasons, I have given up eating beef so eating Korean food now is difficult... not much choices.

However, I have discovered this Korean joint which serves FAST, very REASONABLY priced and great TASTING Korean food! 

It is called Ko Hyang, www.kohyang.com.my. It started with 1 outlet in The Gardens which is where I discovered them 3 years ago. What I love about it, it has a chicken or beef for almost everything! So I can eat the Korean food that I normally can't in most places. 


So I ordered Bi Bim Bap the 1st time and I've never looked back! the portion is big, so full of really fresh vegetables, brown rice and marinated minced chicken. The egg is cooked perfectly and the red sauce is not too much or too little. When you mix it all up, it gives a really rich taste but feels light. Because of the huge portions of various vegetables in it, it is actually a REALLY healthy meal for kids. Thankfully non-fussy eating Alessi LOVES this dish. Whenever we talk to this restaurant, she knows what we will have and she will eat half of my huge bowl herself.

Bi Bim Bap Chicken

There's actually 2 choices: normal Bi Bim Bap or Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap. It is the same thing just one is served in a Stone Pot. I'd much prefer the Stone pot but it comes really hot and my daughter Alessi has no patience to wait for the meal to cool down :) 



The price is RM16.90 and RM17.90 respectively which is highly affordable for its taste, freshness and quality and also for its unlimited free cold appetizers and hot seaweed soup. Recently the cold appetisers are ikan bills (anchovies) stir fried to a sweet sticky dish, standard kimchi and sliced cucumber in almost a kimchi-like taste dish. Normally i would take the sweet ikan bills and mix it up with the rest of bi him bap. Gives the bi bim bap more texture rather than everything being soft.

The unlimited free cold appetizers: Cabbage Kimchi - Sweet Anchovies - Peppered Cucumber

This is a fortnightly ritual that I would do with my kids. Because Alessi shares half my portion, it wouldn't be enough for me so I would also order OH CHIEN (Malaysian Fried Oyster Omelette) as well to share. The other dish that is really lovely is Jap Chae - potato starch noodles. Normally, this is served with beef but here I can opt for with chicken.

How much we normally pig out as a family together!

With the kids enjoying our regular meal

So that's my favorite Korean joint. They have expanded their business and now available in many other locations. Hope you will enjoy it as much as we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment